Cesar Tirantino Interview





                      Cesar Tirantino Interview




Cesar Tirantino model maker, family man and a truly amazing artist from Buenos Aires, Argentina, who has amazed the modelling world with his outstand works of scratch built models and dioramas for the last three years, using nothing but basic paints and glues, his incredible work is created from upcycled materials and budget-priced hobby materials that can be found in any  hobby shops, when not working up to and over 100 hours on each project,

  Cesar Tirantino enjoys cooking, especially family barbecues in  the  Argentinean sun, enjoying the company of his wife of  27 years, Leticia Tirantino and there three grown-up  daughters, whilst  feeding them plates full of Asado before sneaking off to watch his favourite football team River in the "monumental" stadium in the Nuñez neighborhood  below is a quick interview I had with my good friend Cesar Tirantino, I hope you in joy the interview.


You can contact Cesar Tirantino



  When did you start collecting and building model kits?

I started collecting cars in 1/64 scale (Hot Wheels type) a few years back for a bit of fun, I joined a few groups for toy car collectors on Facebook, A lot of the collectors were model builders also and built there own display scenes/dioramas for there car sets,The display scenes looked amazing.



  Was this inspiration for you to start building your own model display scenes and dioramas?






 Yes, It was then I had the idea of building my own display scenes, I wanted to make small display scenes for 1/64 scale/size toy cars. I started off with a service station built from wood, then a car dealership ... and then another station ... and another and every time incorporating more materials, textures and details.
After about my 5th display scene/diorama for my car collection, I started to focus more on the model building of the scenes or the dioramas I was building, I really enjoyed building the gas stations and wanted to challenge my self further in my future project's to see what I could come up within the design and styles of my dioramas .
What were you hoping to learn or achieve in the challenging your self in making more detailed display scenes and diorama?

I joined several Facebook groups including the "weathered models" group of which I am still a member of.
I was starting to set my self goals to improve my techniques, achieve more realistic textures, which seemed a little unreachable after seeing some of the work created by more veteran model makers on the facebook group pages,to see such great works by other amazing modellers was very inspiring and a little frighting as well, to see how much time and effort they were putting into there projects . At first, I was looking for tips on painting techniques, construction, textures, etc, but I quickly realized working in my own ways of building models suited me more than trying to copy others work and this became my style of model building.


 What do you mean by your own style of model making? 

 Everyone has their own style, their imprint on the diorama or model. I can be scrolling down through facebook pages and tell you who is the modeller just by looking at the model in the photo. I focus so much on modelling these days that when I see a model that I like, I can break it down in my mind, analyze it and understand it as if it was a page in a book.
What materials do use in your model making?

My modelling materials are very basic, my models are made from scratch (scratch modelling) I find it fascinating how I can create an oil drum from an old hobby paint pot, or a space ship from an old coat button and few lengths of wire. I only use hand tools and generic materials (nothing specific), no power tools or airbrushes, just hand brushes and cheap Acrylic paints sets, white glue, varnishes and common enamels. I also do not make plans or diagrams and have never used computers or 3d printing, my designs are from my imagination.









What inspires you in your model making?




The search for perfection in my work and style of model making, it is also the reason for my models looking the way they do, I want my work to look like it’s a living thing, not just a great painted model.  A diorama is not just a scene, a diorama is for capturing a moment in time! You are trying to capture the atmosphere, you are trying to represent a scene from a single moment.






What do you mean by creating an atmosphere and capturing a moment in time when building a diorama?

You are trying to represent a scene from a moment in time or era
You can not make a scene from World War II and then place an extremely rusty 1946 truck as the centrepiece for the diorama because time and weathering would not be so cruel to a vehicle in such a short period. You can create something old and rusty from years ago or worn out by use or fire damage in a contemporary style or theme, I like everything to look like its meant to be there in the scene I'm building. A diorama is like an old photo in model form in my opinion.






Would it be hard for a casual model maker to recreate your work using scratch build materials?







 Half the reason I like using up-cycled materials is that I want to show modellers that they can create amazing works of art from everyday items. With little imagination and passion, anyone could create similar work, not everything works first time or even the second time but every attempt improves your skill and helps you learn from your mistakes.


 What do you enjoy doing when your not building models?

 I hate reading and writing. I do enjoy cooking and I am a massive football fan, I’m, Argentinian what other sport would I follow, and I love spending time with my family and friends and walking my dog.


 .
Who your favourite artist or model maker?

I admire Leonardo da Vinci,  a total genius, the great man who has inspired his fellow man through the age with his work and imagination and has been great inspiration for me since my childhood.

.

Comments

Popular Posts